Friday, August 9, 2013

It's Fashion Friday!: How An Artist Makes Art Fashionable

"Women" - set of three oil paintings on
 canvas panels $50

           I think it was pretty recently that I was complaining about uninspired, ugly jewelry – AH YES, it was Tom Binns. I told you to chuck it in the garbage last month. If I’m going to wear jewelry that makes a statement, I want it to be a good one. No one makes art into something you can wear better than an artist. I happen to have some friends who are brilliant artists. This is how it’s supposed to be done.
Acrylic Painting on Wood Panels $40
           One of my favorite things that my friend Miran has painted is this set of three oil paintings, Women. There’s something about it that just speaks to me. There is a lot left unsaid in the image of the backs of these women’s heads. And the shapes are something from a more peaceful time. Her Etsy shop, TheThinBlackLine, has some other financially accessible art pieces like sweet paintings for children’s décor and some mosaic work. For a client with a more modern eye she also works with shapes and bright colors. If you like this sort of work, it’s the kind of thing that makes you happy when you look at it. Too bad you can’t take it with you during the day. Or can you?
Yellow Wood Cube necklace with Leather String $95
            What if the artist who creates the work for your home uses her own inspiration to make you something you can wear? This is what happens. A simple painted wood block necklace has all of the angles and color of the panel you might have had in your house compressed into a smaller area. It’s not so much color that it would detract from anything you’re wearing, but it’s enough color to add interest to an outfit. This is the sort of piece that becomes a person’s “signature” jewelry item – which they might wear regularly with different styles. It’s unique and casual enough for daily wear, and it makes a statement. The other exciting thing about a necklace like this? It was handcrafted by an artist (a really NICE one at that!) and not made in China.
            If you want to interpret in Fall 2013 fashion trend standards, the sharp edges and bright colors against black make these a good option for a punk, motochic accessory. I would probably wear shorter or medium length and possibly layer with some other necklaces. Helmut Lang’s fall 2013 line is cubism inspired. I could see these necklaces clicking with almost anything (Speaking of, I happened to walk by the black washed leather hooded leather jacket on a hanger – I was paralyzed and almost started to drool. I think my exact words were, "I want to eat this jacket." I need to win the lottery). You don’t really need me to tell you how to style this necklace though – it’s not clunky, it’s not gaudy, it’s just pretty. Scoop one up while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment