Friday, December 28, 2012

It's Fashion Friday!: What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?


           So, I gave myself a mini-Christmas-blog-vacation. Tuesday was the good ole 25th of December and my über-stylish and thoughtful little brother was home (with his puppy Oliver and Oliver’s friend Iggy). I, of course, took my own advice and spent the day in tailored sweatpants, partook of Starbucks iced coffee – no donuts, but I assure you I made up for that in many other ways, and did relatively nothing. My real Christmas celebration happens the evening before, and that was also lovely. The whole Yule came in and out like a whirlwind this year. And now it is almost the new year! I think it’s excellent that the world didn’t end on December 21st as so many people were worried it would. Quite simply, there are still many more shoes I would like to wear. And, I am not speaking metaphorically, but quite literally. While I have very recently Christmas gifted myself a pair of Hogan sneakers (HEAVEN!!!! Just as expected!), I still would like to get my hands on a pair of Chloe ballet flats.
            Since we will have another year, we will have another year’s eve. What will you wear? What will I wear? New Year’s Eve is one of the holidays when we can get away with really glamming it up with glitz and glitter. When you think about it, it’s completely nonsensical. It’s a random day, 10 days into winter, when it’s cold, dark, grey, and otherwise completely ordinary. How often, however, do we have free reign with the sequins, sparkles, and over the top disco ball style? Hardly ever.
            There is one thing about this holiday I take great offense at, and that is the ridiculous ball that drops in Times Sq. It was recently replaced with one covered in Waterford Crystal. (You can read ALL about it here.) That should translate in your head to muchos dollars. If you read my blog about the Olympics opening ceremonies, you know how I feel about such ridiculous wastes of money in times when there are people who don’t have food to eat. I’m just a poor person, however, living in a world of excess.
This is fairly tame compared to many of Sears' Junior Dress
collection. Why does she look so happy? She's thinking
"paycheck" instead of "what the hell am i wearing?"
            Moving on to wearable glitz, you do NOT have to spend a lot of money to find something ridiculous. This would be perhaps the ONLY instance where I might say that it is acceptable to purchase something from the Sears fancy dress department (though I still do not endorse it). They have sequined spandex to the max. See the dress – this is the kind of “holy shit ugly” I encounter every time I walk through Sears to get into the mall. One of the reasons I say you could do this for New Year’s is because many people will be too drunk to remember that you did. If you are going to do this, however, you must be no bigger in girth than the size of one of my thighs. For the rest of us, the After Christmas Sales are the best times to buy these “I might not wear it again” shiny/sparkly dresses for New Year’s Eve.
            The problem with sequins is that they need to be sewn on by a person. That raises the cost. Shiny is definitely going to cost you less than sequined. And if you spend $300+ on a dress to wear only for New Year’s Eve, to get your money’s worth you will probably also need to wear this dress around the house while you do things like vacuuming and dishwashing. Wearing a sequined/shiny shirt with a skirt or pants is always an option, depending on how fancy a party you will be attending. Or you could be bold and switch that around – although I really don’t recommend sequined pants. You will look like Liberace.
            Let’s just cut to the chase. Here are some dresses. I wish you well in the New Year. My friend Roslyn will be getting married on the Eve. I have not yet decided what I will be wearing to her New Year’s Eve wedding! I guarantee you there will be some shine or sparkle somewhere in my outfit…. This is not to say that it is ever inappropriate to spend New Year’s Eve on the couch in pajamas.






Free People Daydream Beaded Dress $88



Eliza J Bloused Sequin Dress $94.80





Anne Klein Sleeveless Knot Dress $104.25





Karl Ordina Sequined Biker Dress $145.01
Ali Ro Ruched Lo-Back Sequined Dress $238

SPLURGE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment